Sunday, September 29, 2013

Sticky Note

I have no clue what possessed me to Google life expectancy with Sjogrens, Rheumatoid Arthritis and Raynauds. No clue. But I ended up doing it and reading about my certain demise. So every article says that all of these auto-immune diseases are incurable. Great I think! Then next they list the horrible things that could happen.
Why did I Google that? I will certainly be up all night thinking which one of the horrible things will happen to me or have already started to happen. I just saw a commercial where someone gives a man a sticky note in a meeting that says " you will have a heart attack tomorrow". The commercial proceeds to go on and he takes Bayer aspirin to try to ward off the impending heart attack.
I guess by me Googling and seeing what is in store for me, is like me giving myself the sticky note! The difference is my sticky note does not list when I will have complications. I am trying to ward off dying by taking the meds the doctor prescribes, eating well, exercising when I feel well, sleeping when I can. All of these are extremely hard when you don't feel well. I don't want to eat, I often have a hard time just getting out of bed and well sleeping is a huge issue. HUGE!
The internet can be a wonderful tool, especially when you have an incurable illness. You can interact with people with similar diseases and see what others are experiencing. Or it can be a burden like it was for me today. Knowing down the road that I might get lung disease, liver and kidney complications and even heart problems.
None of these things might not happen or they all could. My sticky note didn't say. I will continue to go through this journey we call life and try to make the best out of it! I will stay positive as much as I can. I will try to embrace every moment, knowing one day my sticky note might be more specific!

5 comments:

  1. I googled too much and too deeply when I was diagnosed. I try not to do it anymore. We do need to stay as positive as we can and hope our sticky note doesn't show up for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan. Staying positive it what I try to do..

      Delete
  2. I'm with Joan--but it IS good to be knowledgeable about your condition (s). And there are so many really good medications now for RA--far more than when I was first diagnosed 25+ years ago. Perhaps there will be new ones developed for Sjogren's and Reynaud's, too, in the not-so-distant future. You have the right attitude--just live each day looking for the gifts it brings and find joy wherever you can. RA, Sjogren's and Reynaud's are not necessarily the gloomy-doomy diseases they once were. There's a lot of hope out there!
    Wishing you the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wren, everyday is a struggle, just different ones each day!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete